Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spikey Crochet Vessel with Lid


I'm busy with my crochet exploration - I've mastered a few basic stitches but have LOADS to learn. I LOVE CROCHET! I've done a few scarves for my kiddies as its getting cold now here in NZ. Doubt they will wear them though.

This is one of my recent vessels - crocheted wool with wet felted details, including pink 'spikes'. It also incorporates sari yarn which is made in Nepal using recycled fibers from the sari manufacturing process in India.

I like making pots as they are fun to keep things in and I can just freeform crochet! I'm not great at following a pattern (or actually following any type of direction) - I can never remember what I have just done or where I am!

I am also now totally addicted to buying yarns - there are some amazing handspun yarns out there (I love drooling over the website Material Whirled - www.materialwhirled.com) they have a fantastic selection of handspun yarns by very talented spinners.

I so want to learn to spin my own yarn......maybe have my own cute little dreadlocked alpaca in the garden....

8 comments:

ArtSparker said...

A mermaid's purse, left in a tidepool. Delightful.

Anonymous said...

lovely vessel..they can get addicting..

Janice said...

VERY cool!!!

Dreadlocked alpaca...haha.

Guess what I bought this weekend?

WOOL! lol Couldn't find merion, so just got plain old 'felting wool' (thats what it was called!) They actually did have merino - two skeins of it - I bought one to compare with. Hope to do some felting this week. :)

Ginga Squid said...

Thank you!

Ha ha Janice! You are going to get addicted - can't wait to see what you make!

Nicola said...

Love the crochet vessel and thanks for the great link!

Pam de Groot said...

Be very careful buying yarns. This addiction can lead to serious lack of space in your house and a serious lack of time to do any thing with them!
The piece is absolutely gorgeous. Kind of like a hairy temple.

Ginga Squid said...

Thanks Nicola & Pam!

Oh gosh Pam, my cupboard is already getting full of yarn and wool. I have no idea yet what I am going to do with most of them, but had to buy them as they are 'so pretty'. Maybe I will have to get rid of some of my clothes to make more space......?

Luarna said...

WOW!
Ilove your blog! It's so exciting and interesting. I also am impressed that your're crocheting. I do to. Last nigth was a big accomplish,ment for me as at last i went through an entire evening without either crocheting or beading. That hasn't happened in 3 years. I wanted ot thank you also for the beads and bit you gave me. They have been so useful adn lead me on to a full scale bead addiction. It's great fun. My friend and I are going to go to market again, and i'm going to make my fortune. I am even making pieces by commision.
You can check out my blog It's called Restless fingers
Would love to hear back from you. Take care