Monday, November 23, 2009

Corespinning my Xmas Tree Lights!



I haven't been pracitising my spinning for a while now as I've been up to my armpits in felted soaps as they are going down well as Xmas gifts.

And then the day after Halloween we put up our Xmas tree (for the kiddies of course) & it got me wondering if I could fit the lights through the orifice of my spinning wheel and then, if I spun them into a yarn - how would they knit up?

So I gave it a bash today - using the Xmas lights as the core thread and then spinning an overspun single around it as 'supercoils'. Now I must locate a soldering iron to connect the wires back to the circuit. Its just a small(ish) 3 x AAA battery pack, so portable. I think I can make the supply much smaller by wiring a couple of those flat circular batteries together instead? I did an engineering masters degree way back in a previous life, but it is all rather vague & mainly involved concrete.


I will post another picture of the yarn all lit up - my soldering skills permitting. If you don't hear from me again, you will know it didn't work out too well.

Hopefully - I can then knit my Xmas tree lights into a nice hat! Or will the elecromagnetic radiation fry my brain?

7 comments:

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

hmmm can't wait to see THAT!

Pam de Groot said...

I gotta see that!!!!

Unknown said...

Very clever and original!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

ArtSparker said...

Waiting with bated breath here...

Fresca said...

Oh, my. THAT would make an interesting obituary....
(No, no, just joking!)

Luarna said...

Cool. what a great idea. where do you get these ideas? Most of mine come when i'm trying to fall asleep or in the shower. I want to see it on your head.

Ginga Squid said...

Thanks everyone! I will go get some solder today and hopefully post pics tonight, if all goes well.....