Monday, January 11, 2010

Exotic Fossil Oolite & Diamond Brooch / Pendant

Yay! I finally finished this jewellery piece that I have been working on for a while.

The gemstone is a gorgeous spotty piece of fossil oolite from Wyoming, USA.

Oolite describes a sedimentary rock formed with ooids (meaning "egglike") - spherical grains in concentric layers.

I bought this from one of my favourite cabochon websites www.DesignerCabochons.co.uk



The metal is titanium sheet which I heated up to get the different colours of heat patina. I don't think I will be using it again - I found it so hard to saw! Took me ages.

The fibers are an exotic mix of merino wool, sari, silk, bamboo, firestar & glitz - needle felted.

The oolite organic gemstone is secured to the purple plexiglass (which I sanded) via resin, stainless steel microscrews & sewn threads of tiny fine silver oxidised cubes (handcrafted by the Thai Karen Hill Tribes).

Other materials: natural raw diamonds (they are so rough & sparkly!), amethyst cubes & fine silver beads.


Its about 8cm (3 inches) wide. Can be worn as a brooch or pendant.

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

an otherworldly sort of smile.